Automakers have switched to a new biodegradable wiring insulation in recent years. It’s great for the environment, because it doesn’t last forever in landfills, but it is soy-based and appears more likely to be chewed up by mice, rats, and squirrels. Sometimes these pests even use bits of the wiring insulation to build their nests somewhere on or around the engine.
Replacing pest-damaged wiring can be very expensive, usually costing hundreds of dollars. The rodents may just chew the insulation, or they may chew all the way through the wire. In either case, the wiring is damaged and will need to be replaced. If you see evidence of rodent activity in your garage, or around your home, contact us to control them before they cause damage.
Gnawing rodents also can damage wiring in homes and other buildings. According to the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments responded to 46,500 home structure fires that involved electrical failure or malfunction in 2010. These fires have many causes, of which rodent damage to wiring is one major factor. Rodents are not to be ignored!
- Posted by admin
- On October 4, 2016
- 0 Comments